Thursday, December 20, 2012

Get To Know...

Through this feature you will get to know a bit about the men and women who work for the Mesa Police Department. Detective Eloy Garza is in the spotlight this month. He is currently assigned to the Chief's office as an Executive Officer Adjutant and City Council Liaison. We recently asked him the following:

Q:  Tell us about your typical work day?
A:  There is no typical day in the Chief's office! I will say this about the last 5 years I have been assigned to this position -- I have had the pleasure to learn from three Chief's (present and past) and 8 Assistant Chief's (present and past). I feel fortunate to experience what most officers do not during their career.

Q:  What do you do when you aren't working?
A:  It goes without saying, spending time with my family. However, I also volunteer for several non-profit organizations (Special Olympics, Mesa YMCA and National Latino Police Officer Association) and lead the college ministry at my church.

Q:  Where did you work before joining Mesa PD?
A:  I worked for McHenry County Sheriff's Department for 2-1/2 years and Algonquin Police Department for 4 years. Both agencies within the Chicago Proper Area.

Q:  What music is on your iPod/mp3 player?
A:  Hillsong United, Chris Tomlinson, One Direction and Kiss. (I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s, so a lot of hair band music.)

Q:  What is your favorite meal?
A:  Really! My mom's chicken enchiladas.

Q:  What is your favorite movie or TV show?
A:  Current TV - Modern Family;  Current Movie - Batman

Q:  If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go and why?
A:  Hawaii. It is been a destination of choice for my wife and I forever and we have some of our best memories there.

Q:  If you could have a super power, what would it be and why?
A:  My super power would be mind control. If I could control your mind and thoughts, I would not have a need for any other power. Let me practice it now -- You are going to have a great day and a joyful heart!!

Q:  What is your greatest accomplishment?
A:  The most glorious moments in life are not the so-called days of success, but rather days we overcome adversity and feel challenged by life. Facing adversity and acknowledging I have the ability to accomplish great things now and in the future is and will always be my greatest accomplishment.

Q:  What sound do you love?
A:  "I love you" from my wife and children.

Q:  If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
A:  Speak, read and write many languages.

Watch for future installments of the "Get To Know..." feature!