- Do not hide house keys in mailboxes, planters or under doormats or rocks. Give a duplicate key to a trusted friend or neighbor in case you are locked out.
- Do not put any personal identification on key rings.
- Leave only your ignition key with service mechanics, parking garage attendants or valets.
- If you lose the keys to your home or when moving into a new home, change the locks immediately.
- Install a peep hole or wide-angle viewer in all entry doors so you can see who is outside without opening the door. A short chain between the door and the jamb is not a good substitute because it can be easily broken.
- Install a security screen door (not a regular mesh screen door) and keep it locked at all times.
- Don't open the door to anyone you do not know without first verifying who they are.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Crime Prevention Tip of the Week
Key Sense and Answering the Door: